Pages

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Squat camp, or, No wonder I have Quads of Doom

I hoped that at squat camp the instructor would tweak my form and I would squat 135lbs with ease. Hahahahaha! Instead, I was BY FAR the weakest one there, managing to lift less than a young woman literally half my size. My form was tweaked all right, so much that I have to go back to 95 lb squats and do them the exact opposite way I've been squatting for two years now. When my knees slide forward it forces my quads to lift the weight, when hamstrings are supposed to handle most of it. On the bright side, I did get a lot of attention, being the most in need of help. It was worth it.

The bad part was attempting to lift in a freezing cold warehouse after being told to wear stretchy shorts and a cotton T-shirt. My skin turned into white flakes, it was gross! In hindsight I would have brought warmer clothes, being from Fl i'm so used to being overly warm while training that being uncomfortably cool didn't occur to me. Also, I made the bad decision to basically dehydrate myself on the drive up, which meant I had to play catch-up the day of the camp just to be normal again and was rather light-headed. Next road trip, I'm drinking more water then usual and just pulling into every rest stop necessary. And bringing warm clothes!

Yoga tomorrow morning, squats 3 x 5 x 95.

No comments:

Post a Comment