Pages

Friday, December 30, 2011

and I thought yesterday's session was tough

Today was treadmill training, long slow intervals. It was a bear. I did two intervals of .75 mile, and one at .50. My max heart rate was 186, instead of the usual 174, and it never fully recovered into the 120s which is where I like it to be before starting the next jogging interval. Missing a week of workouts resulted in significant and measurable decreases in my abilities.

Tomorrow is a lifting day, going for 3 x 5 x 115 on squats, 3 x 5 x 55 overhead press, 5 x 3 x 65 power cleans. Sunday the gym is closed for New Year's Day, since that is a running session I may run outside, otherwise running Monday, I will repeat today's plan. 5.2 mile an hour intervals .75 mile in length and see what my heart rate does there.

I just checked an online heart rate calculator here is the link and even if I check the box for higher than average fitness it says my training zone is between 123 and 158 beats per minute. Huh.

1 comment:

  1. The heart rate zone calculators are for people doing long slow steady stuff, ie beginners.

    If you already have a base of decent fitness, you can as you been doing do intervals, where the heart rate will rise above that zone for the "work" period, and drop back into it for the "rest" period.

    ReplyDelete