Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Bench, Squat, Deadlift, in that order.

Before I left home to go to the gym the phone rang, and an energetic-sounding woman informed me that I had won a $150 gift certificate that will cover my joining fee and also two free personal training sessions at the brand new Kinetics Gym . I checked out their website. It is flashy (literally) and shows a lovely lady's abs. It does not show any sign of weights. I asked the girl if any of the trainers were experienced in powerlifting, who knows? There could have been and my form needs work, and she asked a guy who said,


"ALL of our trainers are nationally certified." Uhh. Ok. She pushed for an appointment that night, but I had to go train (oh, the irony!) so I let her railroad me into making one for today. I tried to find a contact email on the site but could not, so sent a message via Facebook that I was not coming, but if they opened a weightlifting gym I would love to check it out. This morning I called and canceled the appointment.

Last night, I decided to bench first as that lift has stalled. 10 push-ups, 1 x 12 x 45 bench press, 1 x 6 x 65, 1 x 5 x 85, 1 x 4 x 95 ruh-roh! which turned into a disappointing 3 x 4 x 95. A gym buddy asked why I looked frustrated and after explaining the situation to him, he offered to spot me. 1 x 2 x 95, he rowed the last 3 reps off me. Sigh. But then, Mike: Rookie Cop to the rescue!

He spotted me without using his amazingly muscular arms for anything other than a lift-off for 2 x 5 x 95. I love him.

Squats, I expected to be nice and warmed up for these but it wasn't like that. 1 x 12 x back extansion, 1 x 12 x air squat, 1 x 10 x 45, 1 x 5 x 65, 1 x 5 x 95, 1 x 5 x 115, 1 x 3 x 125, 5 x 3 x 135. Finally got aggresive on the fourth set and it made all the difference.

Deads 1 x 3 x 135, 1 x 3 x 155, 3 x 1 x 175, ehh, 1 x 3 x 135, 1 x 5 x 135. Turned into a volume day for deads.

No comments:

Post a Comment