Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Now I'm having fun.

So there I was at the gym, the only woman among the barbells. Men of various ages were bench pressing, curling and doing calf raises, nothing unusual. A cross-fit looking guy on the incline bench behind me complimented my squat and said he wanted to tell me some things, for my health. Wide eyed, I nodded to encourage the passing of his wisdom.

He proceeded to explain to me that I was leaning over too far, and needed to be a lot more vertical on the way up. In fact, it would help if I found a spot on the ceiling to look at instead of looking ahead. If I continued to squat the way I was, it would ruin my back and knees. Gratefully, I gestured to my loaded bar and asked if he would demonstrate the correct way to squat.

"I don't squat" he said, "I have a bad back!" Moment of silence. Everyone else was doing that thing where you are watching and trying not to act like you are.
"I was born with back issues." My helper explained then noticed the attention we were getting.
"Okay" he said and got under the bar which, incidentally was loaded with about 20lbs less than he was just incline benching directly behind me.

He did four shaky high-bar squats, going 1/4 of the way down. I thanked him (genuinely, I was having a great time) and he retreated to the cable machines on the other side of the gym.

Oh yeah, I also worked out. Squats 1 x 12 x air, 1 x 10 x bar, 1 x 5 x 65, 1 x 5 x 95, 1 x 5 x 105, (8 push-ups, those are strangely empowering) 1 x 5 x 115, 3 x 3 x 125, (8 push-ups) 3 x 5 x 115.

Overhead press 1 x 8 x 45, 1 x 5 x 55, 2 x 4 x 65, 1 x 3 x 65. Easy deadlifts 3 x 3 x 135, bbc 1 x 8 x 45.

No comments:

Post a Comment