Pages

Monday, March 19, 2012

Where did my brain go?

I lifted for the first time since the week off before the race, and threw away my training log. Hopefully I can remember this correctly. Lifting was tough today, apparently taking just over a week off to run and then indulging over St. Patrick's Day is bad for my strength.

Earlier today I was reading a strength forum, and found the best piece of squatting advice ever. She wrote, "Most people think squatting is about bending your legs, when it is actually opening up the crotch and sinking down between the femurs." Lightbulb moment! I understand that at soon as you use the term 'open up the crotch' all kinds of eyebrows go up, but that describes the type of squats (low-bar, deep) I am going for perfectly. I did two sets of air squats at home after that and the difference was great- no issues with my knees sliding forward.

At the gym I started with squats, 1 x 12 x air, 1 x 10 x bar, 1 x 5 x 65, 1 x 5 x 95, 1 x 5 x 105- holy crap these were hard, 3 x 5 x 115, 3 x 5 x 95. So I have a way to go, aiming for 200 lb squats by the middle of June.
Overhead press, also light (light weight, not light feeling) 1 x 8 x 45, 3 x 8 x 55. Bench press 1 x 8 x 45, 1 x 8 x 55, 1 x 8 x 65, 1 x 8 x 75, 2 x 5 x 75, 1 x 8 x 65. Deadlifts, 1 x 5 x 135, 1 x 3 x 135. Bicep barbell curls 1 x 8 x 45, 1 set of 8 push-ups. And home.

Did I mention that I came in fourth in my age group in the race? My first race ever? Oh yeah. I may do the Tough Mudder in December, we will see. The idea is planted.

No comments:

Post a Comment