Pages

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The all-women's gym

My mom joined a gym and has been working out consistently. Her mobility has improved a lot and she looks slimmer to me even though the scale isn't showing her a change. She invited me on a guest pass to check out her gym, and I did.
At first glance it looked like I was going to have to consider it a treadmill-only workout. The squat-rack was really a Smith machine and there was nowhere to put a barbell for bench presses. On the bright side, there was an actual barbell, weights and collars. I started with power cleans, 2 x 5 x 45, 1 x 3 x 65, 5 x 3 x 75. Not bad. I did two sets of easy overhead presses, 2 x 8 x 45, with the bar, assistance as I had to lower the bar to the floor- no racks.

Deads 1 x 3 x 135, 1 x 3 x 155, 2 x 2 x 165- horrid back rounding form, but I had to get something out of this session. Learning that 165 needed a lot of work was it. 1 x 2 x 155, 1 x 3 x 135. Dumbbell bench press 1 x 12 x 15, 1 x 10 x 20, 1 x 8 x 25, 3 x 8 x 27.5. I supersetted these with the leg press, 1 x 10 x 50, 1 x 10 x 100, 1 x 8 x 150, 3 x 8 x 200. That was it. No squats, plenty of back work between deads and power cleans and some assistance work.

I knew that the price of the free guest pass is the hard-sell pitch at the end, but since they didn't have the equipment I need I was prepared. I thought I was prepared. When I asked the girl at the desk for my license back and said I was ready for "The Talk" she asked if I was interested in joining. I said not now, and explained briefly why. She said, okay, have a nice day and that was it. Damn, I was impressed by that. It is possible they don't want some big bitch like me slamming weights around. So I told her that if I overhear women complaining about the guys at my gym I'll send them to her, and she was cool with that. Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment